Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mothering Day!

My family (myself, my wife, and our two daughters) went to a Unitarian Universalist church this morning. It was a lovely Mother’s Day service. While I was aware that Unitarian Universalists claim to be an accepting and welcoming community, I was happily surprised by the sermon. The sermon was titled “Mothering is a Verb.” The minister told her own story of struggling with, but finding acceptance with gender as a spectrum (as opposed to only two genders). She spoke about different types of families “some with two moms, some with two dads, some with a mom and a dad who used to be a mom." She spoke of Mother’s Day being about people (any gender) who are mothering, rather than about women who are mothers. Not only did I feel accepted as a queer family, but also I found myself pondering the ways others have been mothering to me, regardless of their gender identity. I then thought of Antony Hegarty (of Antony and the Johnsons). His song “For Today I Am A Boy” speaks of his yearning be a woman, “feeling full and pure”. It is an empowering song. Please listen!


Now listen to this little song and tell me s/he is not mothering! “Trust Your Mother”.

I am grateful for my Mama who raised me with wholesome, unconditional love. I am grateful for the people in my life who have been mothering to me (regardless of their age or gender). I am grateful, too, that I am now a mother (“Mama Coco”) and that I get to share this adventure of motherhood with such a kind and loving mother as my wife. 



So, happy Mothering Day to all you who mother! And here is a song dedicated to those who have mothered me:


2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post, Coco:) I love you so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Thanks Mama! Love you too! I am grateful that you are my mother.

    ReplyDelete