Monday, May 16, 2011

"My Existance is Rebellion" highlight of the OUT/LOUD festival

The other night my partner and I went to Out/Loud Queer Women's Music Festival in Eugene, OR. It was a fun show, we turned in early due to being tired old people, but not before seeing Taina Asili Y La Banda Rebelde perform! They were so inspiring and their energy was so high and moving, I have to share it!

This song is called "In the Time of Now". She explains at the beginning how the fact that we are breathing right now is a form of rebellion. While it is truly a song of indigenous resistance, I feel that it can be inspiring for all of us living under and fighting against oppression. This song starts off serious, and becomes a celebration of existence as rebellion.

Here is their music video for "In Our Hands." This song is wonderful. "Don't ask for your freedom, just take it."
 

And finally I will share "Prison Break" which is dedicated to political prisoners such as Mumia Abu Jamal.

Thanks for listening. Taina Asili y La Banda Rebelde moved me, in my heart and in my feet! Thank you Taina Asili!

2 comments:

  1. Words can't describe how much this post means! Thank you so much for sharing these words. This is the kind of exchange of love and healing i dream of and work for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much!! You all were such an amazing audience- giving us the love and energy we can feed off of and give right back to you! YOU inspire US!

    ReplyDelete