Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Outraged: The Kill Team. Wake-Up Call? Desensitization?


Yesterday I saw the Rolling Stones article, “The Kill Team”.  Saw, not read.   After seeing the photographs, I couldn’t bear to look at them anymore.  I did read about it, however, in an article that does not actually show the photographs.  It is strange to see these photographs in between an article about a comedian and a rock star, featuring a pop star interviewed about"sexting" on the cover.  Is it good that these photographs were published in a mainstream magazine?  I do believe the American people need a wake up call.  Where are all the anti-war protests these days?  Is everyone in la-la land?  Busy busy with our domestic lives, trying to make a happy childhood for our children while other people's children are shot and killed by our own sodiers?  Working all the time, trying to make enough money to afford gas for our cars (oil=war, partially) to get our children from girlscouts to soccer games to the mall to buy clothes by a brand that is socially acceptable (and socially deplorable)…is it just me?  Does it help at all that I recognize this?  We are sending trained and brainwashed murderers to Afghanistan.  I do believe we, as a society, need to be reminded of the reality of what is going on overseas.  Some questions, though…is it disrespectful to the memory of those lost and to their families to post these photographs in a popular magazine?  A friend of mine had me thinking today of how I would feel if it were my family member whose dismembered body was on display with smiling soldiers in a pop culture magazine.  And is this Rolling Stones being progressive or is it desensitizing our youth, who commonly buy that magazine?  I haven’t read the entire article, but I’m not sure it was respectfully done.  However, it left me feeling outraged and sick, as well I should.


This is a time of growth for those that know
And it's a time of hope for those that don't
But if your mind is open you'll get shown,
We've had our sights blinded, all of my like-minded,
People need to get up and discover the right time is,
Now, so start opposing the powers that arose,
In ancient days and paved the way to this load,
It's so controlled, it's sitting in most, just sit and stare,
At a television with a distant glare, 
And I'm ashamed to admit it, I'm a slave to this shit,
As much as anybody but I'm not afraid of it,
This is where the change comes, and this is where we make some difference,
Embrace what's within us and escape from this prison,
All it takes is a little bit of faith,
And a little bit of love, to get rid of all the hate
But the thing about it is we can't just sing about it,
We can't just sit around and wait until they thin us out,
We figure out where we're going while we live in doubt,
If you want my truth, listen now and just think about it,
The thing about it is we can't even think about it,
Can't afford a minutes time to figure how to bring about a change,
So, take a second, and shake your head,
And take a step ahead and think about it...
 (for the rest of the lyrics see here)

1 comment:

  1. We're all guilty of it. It's a step in the right direction though, I think, to recognize our blindness. But what can we do? I am not afraid to admit that I don't have time or energy for any huge protest movement. But what does that say about me?

    Great song, too.

    ReplyDelete